Monday, November 29, 2010

Music Recommendation #3

11/21/10-11/27/10
Look at me getting two of these posts in back-to-back weeks!  Okay, so it's the 29th.  Shut up.  As most of you know, this past week was Thanksgiving, so I didn't get any music from the radio station.  Fortunately, I took it upon myself to get some music of my own accord.  One of the albums was inspired by an addiction and another by stupid catchy music bullshit.

My addiction: vidja game (aka video games).  The first album I want to talk about is the Fallout: New Vegas OST.  Now, for anyone who has ever played any of the Fallout games (or any game in the past 4 or 5 years) knows that in-game music is a big deal.  Fallout 3, Bioshock 1 and 2, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, and several others are known for having various licensed, independent, or orchestral scores.  Video game music has become a big deal and Obsidian is no ignant foo'.  Not only did Fallout 3 have an awesome soundtrack (featuring Billie Holiday, The Ink Spots, and Ella Fitzgerald among several others), but New Vegas possibly has a better soundtrack with artists such as Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, and Frank Sinatra, just to name a few.  This music not only provides for an incredibly unique in-game mood, but also makes for an awesome OST.  The Fallout: New Vegas OST has a great number of tracks from the early '50s across several different genres and has a monster line-up with twenty-seven tracks.  I would definitely give the OST a listen even if you haven't played the game.  If you're interested in playing the game, check out my review for the game on my other blog, here.  Unfortunately, they're not selling it on Amazon, so I can't give you a sample of it, but if you really want it, let me know.

The second album I want to talk about will be the first album I've talked about so far in these "recommendations" that I absolutely want you to stay away from.  No joke.  Promise me.  Now, I'm sure several of you have heard of the song "Like A G6" (for those of you that haven't, turn on the radio, it will be on).  The track is on "Free Wired," an album released by Far East Movement.  I'll be the first to admit that the song isn't half bad and is damn catchy; if I hear it in the car I'm going all crunk and junk.  However, while "Like a G6" might be decent, the rest of the album is shit save for maybe two songs, which isn't much of a saving grace for the ten song album.  Also, note that I said "save for two songs" are not shit.  They are a couple steps above it, which is still nothing close to good.  I will listen to these songs for a couple of weeks, probably put them on a party play list, and then never ever touch them again.  The album is devoid of any sort of creativity and the depth of the lyrics stops at drunk girls, heartbreak, and hopeless romance.  In essence, Far East Movement is a generation late on the boy band movement with a dash of hip-hop.  What's more disappointing is that these guys are HUGE sellouts.  From what I've seen from various forums, these guys were great before they signed; after that all they were was foo-foo poppy bullshit.  I'm not kidding either, some people are seriously pissed about them signing to a big label: "Sold.fuck.ing.out.  That's what they did."  One positive thing about "Like a G6" is that it's led to a number of parodies, this one being my favorite.  Take a listen here.

On to music news for this upcoming week.  Justine Bieber (there is no typo) is unfortunately coming out with another album, "My Worlds Acoustic," which is, surprise surprise, a Walmart Exclusive *throws up*.  In better news, some chick named Jazmine Sullivan has an album that is getting surprisingly high reviews for a female vocalist in her genre (R&B, Pop/Rock), which may force me to listen to it.  God knows I might, the last time I did that I stumbled upon the lovely Janelle Monae.  Flo Rida is also coming out with another album, as is Soulja Boy, and both will most likely flop.  There's some really awesome stuff coming up next week, which I'm more than giddy about (I'm being serious about that too), but I'll save that for next week's post.  Let me know if you've come across any good music and stay tuned for a review of "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" which is coming... RIGHT NOW!  And by "RIGHT NOW," I mean tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment