Sunday, November 7, 2010

Music Recommendation #1

Alright, so, in order to get me writing on my blog a bit more and to actually utilize the music I'm getting from 1190, I thought I would start a new (hopefully weekly) segment.  In reviewing a brand new album or two every week, while I can't really seem to motivate myself to write an entire review for the album(s), the least I can do is share with you what I'm listening to and maybe spread around some other music news that I've been stumbling upon.  With that being said, here we go.

10/31/10-11/6/10

This week I managed to get my hands on a couple of different bands that were a little more out there.  Every time I get an artist I've never heard of, my Music Director always says, "Well, you've heard of these guys, right?  Well, they did this before they did that."  Sometimes I actually know what she's talking about, but other times I just sort of nod my head; her knowledge of independent music never ceases to amaze me.  The first thing I got a hold of was K.C. Accidental's "Captured Anthems for an Empty Bathtub" and "Anthems for the Could've Bin Pills," both of which are EPs released by the band in 1997 in a two disc pack.  Now, I don't know if they re-released them or what, but when I looked up the original release of the EPs, it was '97, so... there ya go.  The recordings are from Kevin Drew, founder, vocalist, and guitarist for Broken Social Scene.  However, before Broken Social Scene there was K.C. Accidental.  Partnering up with Charles Spearin,  “Anthems For The Could’ve Bin Pills” was in essence the blue print for Broken Social Scene.  Both EPs are essentially entirely instrumentals, but each one has a different feel to it. "Captured Anthems for an Empty Bathtub" is a bit lighter and "Anthems for the Could've Bin Pills" feels a bit more developed and industrial.  I would have to say that I enjoyed the former more than the latter, but each were interesting to listen to.  Being EPs as well, each is only six songs long, so if you want to just check something new out, there isn't a whole lot of commitment.  Take a listen here.

The second album I got a hold of was Brian Eno's "Small Craft on a Milk Sea," which, to my surprise, has actually been getting very impressive reviews on Metacritic averaging a 77 overall.  This is Eno's first album with Warp and the artist/producer/visionary teamed up with Jon Hopkins (Domino Records) and Leo Abrahams to create the album.  Eno has been releasing music since 1974 with his debut solo album "Here Come the Warm Jets" as well as releasing collaborative albums with artists such as Robert Fripp and David Byrne.  The feeling of the album, on a grand scale, is pretty impressive.  A number of the songs are ambient and wrought with tense melodies and sounds.  Other songs definitely consist of almost nothingness and aren't incredibly entertaining.  However, some of the more energetic songs such as "Flint March" and "Dust Shuffle" are incredibly dynamic and really get your pulse racing.  This album requires a bit more of a time commitment, but I don't think you'll be disappointed when you pick it up.  Take a listen here.  (Fun fact: Brian Eno's full name is Brian Peter George St. John le Baptiste de la Salle Eno.  Win.)

In other news, some new music I've been looking forward to is actually coming out!  Possibly my most anticipated album of the year, "Lady Killer" by Cee-lo Green, is being released on November 2nd.  I've been looking forward to this album for some time and since I've gotten my hands on it early, I should have a review ready for the release date.  On to other things, Good Charlotte's new album, "Cardiology," has received lack luster reviews (surprise, surprise) and Neil Diamond's album of covers, "Dreams," has been receiving high reviews, averaging a 74 on Metacritic.  Some other albums to look forward to this week are Kid Cudi's "Man on the Moon 2: The Legend of Mr. Rager" and Susan Boyle's "The Gift"... oh wait, don't look forward to that.

In closing, hopefully I can keep this segment running and keep you guys up-to-date with what I'm listening to with the radio.  Let me know what you think about this segment, your words will give me strength.  Look for the Cee-lo review and I will see you with new albums and music news next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment