Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Music Discovery #1

Music: Some good, some bang-your-head-against-the-wall worthy
Since its a little difficult to find, listen to, and review more than about two or three albums a week, I thought I would start something new, but still music related, similar to my "Guilty Pleasures" posts.  This time, however, I thought I would write a bit about music I have recently stumbled upon. 


First off, I'd like to start out with the bad music I've found.  While I was writing my Miley Cyrus post and watching her music video on YouTube, I read a comment that said something along the lines of "Young girls can't look up to Cyrus anymore, blah blah blah, she better watch out for Cymphonique."  Now, after reading the name "Cymphonique," I thought to myself, "Maybe this is some sort of up and coming, young, R&B singer."  Well, I was pretty wrong.  After searching YouTube for "Cymphonique," this is what I found: "Lil Miss Swaggar."  At first, I thought it had to be a joke or at least some sort of Kidz Bop thing.  Unfortunately, this is serious.  I thought I had found the epitome of child extortion, but thankfully, she's related to a rapper or two.  For anyone who hasn't heard of Lil' Romeo, you're better off, he's terrible.  He was like a worse version of Lil' Bow Wow, ehem, excuse me, Bow Wow (fun fact: Bow Wow started getting upset at people for calling him "Lil'").  Lil' Romeo and Cymphonique are the children of Master P who has done little to nothing significant outside of the song "Oohhhwee," a song that's only redeeming quality is.... well, its sort of funny.  Oh, he was on Cribs too.  Anyway, if you couldn't tell, Cynmphonique's "Lil Miss Swaggar" is pretty catchy, but nevertheless, she scares me and needs to go away.  She's almost as bad as Bieber... almost...  I have one more bad thing I stumbled upon, but I'll save that for a later post (Hint: Asian pop song).


Next, I'd like to talk about something I found that was surprisingly good: J. Cole's "Who Dat."  I came across this song because I was listening to something on YouTube in the morning and he came on immediately after by mistake.  J. Cole's video, as far as I can tell, was taken in one shot and includes a mob of people follow him, a marching band, and lots of stuff exploding as he shouts "Who dat?  Who dat?  Bitch I got that flame! So don't worry 'bout my mother fuckin' name!"  J. Cole has some pretty impressive flow and has great personality and inflection on top of that.  His voice sounds good, a little similar to Kanye West, but has a certain rhaspy quality to it that really makes him stand out.  He also has lines that really make you go "Woah!" or, my favorite, "OOOOOOOOOOH SNAP!"  Among these lines are: "Clown told me, 'Ain't you rock, where the fuck your chain at?'/ Guess its something like your girl, nigger, it ain't came yet" and "Boy I'm picture perfect baby, you can check the Kodak/ Hey! So anything you can do, I can do better/ And any chick you can screw, I can get wetter."  All I can say is that I would absolutely love to see this guy throw down in a rap battle.  I may be mistaken, but at some point I can distinctively hear a clip of Andre 3000, and all I can say is that if Andre 3000 is backing this guy, I can too (it would make sense seeing as how Big Boi recently backed Janelle Monae with great success).  I am now eagerly anticipating the release of his new album, which should drop some time later this year.


As a finishing point I'd just like to mention a few things happening as far as releases go in the music world.  Big Boi, half of the Outkast duo, is coming out with his solo album "Sir Lucious Leftfoot: The Son of Chico Dusty."  Kylie Minogue is also expected to have a release coming out this week, although I'm less excited about that one.  3Oh!3 came out with their newest album "Streets of Gold" which, unfortunately, has received underwhelming reviews averaging a 47.  Lil Jon also came out with his newest album, "Crunk Rock," averaging a 59, just shy of overall positive reviews.  I may just have to give that a listen, for a laugh if not for anything else.  As for me, right now, I'm listening to the new Roots album "How I Got Over" and The Decemberists' "Hazards of Love."  Hope you enjoyed this new segment, and hopefully I'll be able to keep it going in the future.  What music have you stumbled upon?

No comments:

Post a Comment