Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Nothing

"Oh you're so perfect, don't you ignore me girl"
Well, unfortunately, October was a dry month.  I had good reason though, I promise!  Well... sort of.  School was killer and there wasn't a TON of music I was interested in.  Alright, a good portion of it was laziness.  However, here I come to give a new review!  Today, N.E.R.D. released their new album "Nothing," a follow up to their 2008 release "Seeing Sounds."  The band's iconic front man Pharrell Williams has been seen as a featured artist across popular music performing with artists such as Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, P. Diddy, Snoop Dogg, Jay-Z, Kanye West, and Cee-lo Green among many others.  However, Pharrell came from humble beginnings with N.E.R.D. in 2001 with their highly rated debut album "In Search Of..."  Since then, N.E.R.D. has always been able to come up with sexy club thumping songs, as well as some more deep, meaningful songs.  However, while on the surface "Nothing" may seem to have the same formula, it lacks the depth their past albums have.

"Nothing" starts of with an up tempo song, "Party People," which reminds listeners of their trademark sound.  Other songs on here have this same sort of flavor, especially "Nothing On You" and the album's debut single "Hot-n-Fun."  However, the more "deep" songs lack the lyrical depth that Pharrell has been able to convey on past albums.  In particular, when thinking about N.E.R.D.'s more lyrically profound songs, "Stay Together" from "In Search Of..." comes to mind.  While it's a typical heart ache sort of song, its content is funky and playful.  However, the same type of songs on "Nothing" don't seem to carry the same meaning.  On the surface they seem a bit more heart felt, but only because the pace is more slowed down and Pharrell belts a few notes.  The lyrics aren't nearly as complex and don't really convey as much emotion as their past albums.

The one thing N.E.R.D. has never forgotten how to do though is how to make a club hit.  Several songs on this record can undoubtedly be on any DJ's play list and get people moving.  In particular, my favorite song on the album, "Perfect Defect," is a curious juxtaposition of their more heart felt and their more aggressive songs.  The beat is fast and rhythmic with a bit of a Latin flair, but then transitions into a sound that is reminiscent of several songs off of  "In Search Of...," such as "Baby Doll" and "Run to the Sun."  The lyrics are also a bit more complex due to the fact that for a good portion of the song Pharrell is rapping as opposed to serenading his female audience.  While N.E.R.D. still knows how to make a club hit, there's two essential elements they've lost from this album: their funny bone and their aggressive spirit.

One of the first thing I loved about N.E.R.D. when I listened to them back in the day was how pumped up they got me;  their songs "Lap Dance," "Truth Or Dare," and particularly "Rock Star Poser" (check out the link to see the music video.  It's pretty incredible) off of "In Search Of..." always got me ready to go start a fight and pick up some chicks.  When I started listening to their 2004 release "Fly Or Die" the same tone carried over with songs like "Thrasher" and "Don't Worry About It."  When they came out with "Seeing Sounds" in 2008 I was particularly impressed because they kept it going with songs such as "Anti Matter" and "Spaz."  Unfortunately, "Nothing" seems almost entirely void of this aggressive, sexy nature.  The closest they get to anything like that is with "Hot-n-Fun" which, honestly, I want to like, but I just can't; I really have a problem with Nelly Fertardo ever since she decided she was "sexy."  Oh, sorry, Nelly Furtado.  N.E.R.D. also seems to have lost their comedic element.  While it never stood out in the foreground of their music, they always managed to poke fun at themselves for being Star Trek fans and for how big Pharrell's nose was (At the end of "Stay Together" Pharrell calls a dating agency and describes himself as: "Three feet high, but I'm growing an Afro which makes me six feet.  I have a big nose, I have a pair of underwear, Fruit of the Looms, pulled all the way up to my chest, with a size 17 Chuck Taylor on." "17?!" "That's what I said.  17 mother fucker!  And that shit's gonna be turned up!").

While N.E.R.D. doesn't necessarily produce a bad album, they definitely don't live up to the standard of  their past albums.  I can't say there's nothing on the album I don't like because there are a good handful of songs I enjoy.  N.E.R.D. also always manages to be a master of walking the fine line between catchy and annoying beats.  But, they always manage to get stuck in my head and I end up loving it.  "Nothing" is definitely my least favorite of all of their albums so far, however, that could change.  When I first picked up "Seeing Sounds" I hated it.  Now, I find myself listening to it regularly.  Take a listen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment