Monday, March 14, 2011

Music Recommendation #6

3/13/11-3/19/11 
Alright, I know it's a day late, but better late than never, right?  This week I have The Darlings' "Warma - EP" and Stateless' "Matilda."

The Darlings’ “Warma” is the New York based band’s second record release coming out of Famous Class Records.  Their debut album, “Yeah I Know” was released in 2009.  They have a sound similar to Pavement, the Replacements, and the Thermals.  Starting in 2007, the band is spearheaded by singer/guitarist Peter Rynsky and consists of four friends who, after graduating college, had nothing better to do than pick up their guitars and jam.  This band goes right back to the knitty-gritty of classic party rock.  The guitar riffs and drum beats are steady and simple, and the combination of female and male vocals make for a very uplifting feeling.  The Darlings rose from scrutiny by playing parties and lower level shows and finally got signed, and while the "Warma - EP" may not be much, it's definitely  an uplifting listen.  "Don't Be So Hard On Yourself" is definitely the stand out party pleaser, but "Don't Wanna hang Out Tonight" is my favorite track on the EP with a slower, more mid-century rock feel too it and easily displays the best juxtaposition between Peter Rynsky's more harsh vocals and Maura Lynch's softer ones.  Again, the "Warma - EP" from The Darlings' isn't a lot, but it's a step in the right direction and I look forward to them coming out with their next LP.

Stateless’ “Matilda” is their second studio release after their self-titled album released in 2007, coming out of Ninja Tune Records.  This English electronic alternative rock group is based out of Leeds.  They combine electronic and classical sounds to make for a contemporary, yet cinematic feel.  The album features Shara Worden of My Brightest Diamond (“I’m On Fire”) as well as the Balanescu Quartet (“Ballad Of NGB” and “Song For the Outsider”), and  was produced by Bjork producer/programmer Damian Taylor.  Their sound has been described as Jeff Buckley battling Modeselektor with a twist of Timbaland.  While a week ago I may have put Gil Scott-Heron and Jamie xx on a pedestal for album of the year with seemingly little competition as of yet, Stateless proved me wrong.  Something about what Stateless does just sucks me in.  While people have compared them to several various artists, I can't help but to compare them to more.  To me they have the daring sound of Muse's earlier days with their album "Origin of Symmetry," they take the grand orchestral sound and story telling nature of DeVotchKa, and put it in a blender with some sitar (maybe Ravi Shankar?).  What is even better is that "Matilda" is one of those albums in which every song is a potential favorite.  Out of all of the albums I have ever reviewed for 1190, "Matilda" may be the only one in which I had difficulty picking out my Top 6 Favorites.  To put it in the words of my Music Director, Jessi: "[Stateless]!  Why couldn't you have come two weeks sooner!"  I'm assuming that Stateless would have been made CDotM for March.  

Onto the music though, something about it just comes out right.  I don't know if it's luck or skill, but Stateless manages to combine a number of sounds that are radically different yet mesh and flow flawlessly.  My favorite song, "Ballad of NGB," starts out with a repetition of piano chords and with a soft hint of clapping, shortly followed by Chris James singing "I can feel her rapid waves/ Dark and glittering, sharp and shimmering/ So pure, so damn pure/ Dancing in the kitchen cooking up a snow storm/ Dancing in the kitchen cooking up a snow storm."  This line of lyrics is immediately followed by a booming bass and accompanied by a string section that replaces the repetitious piano from earlier.  I could go on and on describing the almost palpable melodies and tangible rhythms in this piece for ages, but the best advice I can give you is to listen to it.  My other favorite songs are "Ariel" (a song combining sitar licks with a bass heavy back beat and echoing lyrics), "I'm On Fire" (a song combining the trickling of an electric guitar with a beautiful duet between James and guest singer Shara Worden), and "Assassins" (tribal drumming and transcendental bells meet a synthesizer and energetic vocals).  I couldn't rave about this album more than I already have, just give it a listen already.

Shortly (within minutes), I will be posting my review of Lupe Fiasco's new albums "Lasers." Stay tuned for that as well as next week's music recommendations.

1 comment:

  1. Their seem may be described as Jeff Buckley battling Modeselektor having a twist of Timbaland.
    When you have nothing to do or unhappy? What should you do to spend the free time? How about the game? like to get wow gold buy in WOW, and how to have thewow gold buyingwith less money, is there anyway to get the for us? We need to think about this.

    ReplyDelete