Sunday, February 27, 2011

Music Recommendation #4

2/27/11-3/5/11
Alright, music time is back on my priorities list and I'm getting some stuff from 1190 that I can share with you.  The first two albums I have for you this year are Paris Suit Yourself's "My Main Shitstain" and The Posies "Blood/Candy."

“My Main Shitstain” is the debut album from Paris Suit Yourself.  Paris Suit Yourself is a French-US collective rock band, the first ever rock band to be signed to Big Dada Recordings.  The combine aggressive, yet funny aesthetics and are a bit like a mix between Public Enemy and mid-period Bowie which is clear by their unique sound.  Lead singer Luvinsky Atche brings his French roots into the album on more than one occasion making for an interesting clash of rock instrumentals and French lyrics.  The album definitely has a unique feel to it: one minute it's very fast passed and has an almost Latin feel to it ("Craig Machinsky") and the next its very minimalist with only echoing lyrics and a slow, steady, repeating bass line ("Soliloque").  What is maybe most exciting about this album is the French lyrics.  While most listeners may not be able to understand what Atche is saying, the way in which he sings the lyrics convey a gradient of emotions ranging from excitation to anguish.  When I was first listening to this album, I almost thought it was going to be FCC clean, but PSY does an incredible job of slipping in uncleanliness in the most surprising ways.  Upon a second listen I realized that every single song has some sort of swear or vulgarity in it, which isn't to say that it's spewing them left in right, but that they're used strategically and almost secretively; you really have to listen to catch them.  Overall, Paris Suit Yourself's "My Main Shitstain" is a very unique and interesting album.  They creatively juxtapose various sounds and melodies without sounding sloppy and the album is definitely a fun listening experience.

“Blood/Candy” is The Posies’ seventh LP, coming from a band that first found its sound in 1988 with their debut album “Failure.”  The band has switched between various labels, but may have found home with Rykodisc, the same record label they released “Every Kind of Light” with in 2005.  Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow (both on guitar and vocals) are the only remaining members from the original Posies, but, thanks to Matt Harris (bass) and Darius “Take One” Minwalla (Drums) taking control of the rhythm section, managed to have a revitalizing comeback in 2001.  At first listen, "Blood/Candy" didn't seem much different than any other alternative rock/pop group, but as I listened to it a second time, I found myself digging it more and more.  What's awesome about The Posies is that their songs fluctuate in meaning.  One minute a song could pump you up and get your blood boiling, but that very same song could be very relaxing and calming in another circumstance.  It's noticeable that the vocals of Auer and Stringfellow are the backbone of the group.  More so than any of the instrumental melodies, the vocals convey the most most complexity and versatility throughout the entire album.  On another note, the album artwork has to be one of the coolest I've seen in a long time.  I would highly recommend snagging this album if you get a chance.  They started back in the late '80s, but have managed to keep their sound fresh and definitely give any contemporary alternative group a run for their money.  My top picks from the album are "Plastic Paperbacks Feat. Hugh Cornwell," "Notion 99," and "Cleopatra Street."

And thus concludes the first music recommendation post of 2011.  More will be coming in future weeks and lookout for other album reviews outside of what I get from the radio.  Currently I'm listening to Destroyer, Braids, and Radiohead, so watch for reviews for any and possibly all of those.  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I still don't like The Posies. I was unimpressed by the vocals, and I felt like every song was too similar to other songs I've heard. One of the more unoriginal bands I've listened too, but that's just me.

    I'm glad you're starting to prioritize music again, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One moment a track could pump you up and get your our blood boiling, but that extremely exact same track could possibly be extremely relaxing and calming in one more
    What can we do when we have many boring free time? How about try to get access to the online games? When we talk about the game, we need to talk about the WOW Gold. As the WOW is the world's most famous online game,all of us knows that we have to get the Cheap RS Gold to save money !

    ReplyDelete