Monday, March 8, 2010

Blog Battle?

So it turns out that my friend Colin at Adrift and At Peace has decided to derail my recent Spoon reviews saying that I'm defending them "based on a number of arbitrary criteria that don't seem to have a whole lot to do with the music Spoon released..."  Fair enough, fair enough.  I'm not saying that Metacritic is the be all and end all of music reviews, however, they are a credible source for them.  They average reviews from several credible sources and give listeners a mean to go off of.  I know that I personally use it not only as a way to figure out if I should spend my time on a certain video game based upon several credible sources, but I also use it to find new artists that have received high reviews (Fionn Regan, You Say Party! We Say Die!, and Citay among them).  Metacritic hasn't let me down so far and I'm going to keep using them and I would still recommend them to everyone.  It just so happened that their "Band of the Decade" turned out to be a band that has grown on me over the past three years.  

I would recommend that if you get a chance, read Colin's review of TV on the Radio's "Return to Cookie Mountain."  Seeing as how I have listened to this, but am unable to review every single thing I listen to, he's a good source to go to as well.  I would argue him in concerns to TVotR being the band of the decade and I would even further argue "Return" being the album of the decade, however both are strong contenders.  I mainly took advantage of Metacritic naming Spoon as band of the decade as an opportunity to highlight some of their albums over the past ten years.  I will finish my three part review of Spoon with their 2010 release of "Transference," however, afterward I will do some research and come up with MY own choice for album of the decade and maybe we'll have another rebuttal from Colin.  Hey, this could be fun.  Either way, you're getting to know about more and more good music, right?  Keep watching, this could get interesting.

EDIT:  I've decided that narrowing down my album of the decade would be too difficult, so I'm going to split it up into a few different artists of the decade in their respective genres.  As of right now, I'm not sure how many I will cover, but I will definitely cover the following: Hip-hop/ Rap and Indie/ Alternative.  If anyone has any suggestions, let me know, and I will definitely take them into consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment